– Pangasius is one of the species of Pangasius (Pagasiidae) found in the lower Mekong River (Cuu Long) in Vietnam.
– According to the classification system, Pangasius is classified as follows:
– Catfish (Siluormes) s)
– Pangasius family (Pangasiidae)
– Pangasius is distributed in Mekong river basin, present in all 4 countries of Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand. In Thailand they are also found in the Mekong and Chao phraya basins. In our country fry and fingerlings are mainly found on the Tien River, mature fish found only in ponds, rarely found in the wild.
3. Morphological and ecological characteristics
– The body is long, without scales, black and gray on back, slightly silvery belly, wide mouth, has 2 long beard tails.
– Fish live mainly in fresh water, can live in slightly brackish water (10-14% salinity), can tolerate alum water with pH> = 4 (pH below 4, the fish refuses to eat, is shocked ), low tolerance to temperatures below 150C, hot to 390C.
4. Nutrition characteristics
– Completed oysters prefer to eat fresh bait, so they eat each other right in the hatchery, even fish caught in the river still see them eating each other in the bottom of the fish fry. They feed on animals that are about the size of their mouth.
– When the fish is big, omnivores are biased towards animals and easily switch food types. In Pangasius farming ponds, it is able to adapt to a variety of foods, including compulsory foods such as humus, organic residues, bran, vegetables, compost, benthos, ….